Date: Saturday, April 6, 2013
Time: 9:30 am – 12:00 pm
Contact: Valerie Williams, (312) 893-7142, [email protected]
Venue: Erikson Institute
Address: 451 N. LaSalle St., Chicago, IL, United States Map
The office of Multicultural Student Affairs and the dean of faculty sponsor Safe Zone training sessions for Erikson students and staff in the fall and the spring.
Safe Zone training is designed to increase knowledge, practice, and action when working with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) communities. This training helps the Erikson community work more effectively with students, staff, and faculty within the LGBTQ community.
Specifically, the objectives for these sessions are the following:
- Provide factual information and correct misinformation on the topics of sexual and gender identity;
- Recognize problems in society that affect LGBTQ individuals;
- Identify policies and laws relevant to LGBTQ concerns;
- Identify and discuss strategies to reduce hostility toward LGBTQ persons;
- Acquire skills and information for making appropriate referrals;
- Raise awareness of the negative impact of homophobia, transphobia, and heterosexism on all people; and
- Understand terminology on the subject of sexual and gender identity.