In addition to the general admission requirements, international students must meet the following requirements.

Demonstration of English proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as evidence of proficiency in oral and written English. Please request official test scores to be sent to Erikson directly; we cannot accept student score reports. Test scores must be no more than two years old at the time of admission.

Language proficiency exams are not required if you:

  • Have received a degree from a college or university in the United States, or
  • Have received a degree from a college or university where the language of instruction is English

Information on taking the TOEFL exam is available at Erikson’s institution code is 0623. You must supply this code to have your test scores sent to Erikson. In order to be considered for admission, you must receive a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based TOEFL, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 550 on the paper-based TOEFL.

Information on taking the IELTS exam is available at In order to be considered for admission, you must receive a minimum overall band score of 6.5, as well as minimum score of 6.0 on the academic reading and academic writing sections. We cannot accept scores from the General Training exam. Note: IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.

Transcripts from foreign institutions

International or U.S. applicants who have completed previous undergraduate or graduate level work at a college or university outside the United States are required to submit official sealed transcripts from each institution to Erikson Institute, as well as to an outside credential evaluation service such as:

  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
    (414) 289-3400
  • World Education Services (WES)
    (212) 966-6311

Please request a course-by-course evaluation and have the official report sent to: Erikson Institute, Office of Admission, 451 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60654-4510, USA.


International students must obtain a nonimmigrant student (F-1) visa to enter the United States for academic study. Nonimmigrant status indicates that a student intends to return to his or her home country after completing an academic program.

To be eligible for a student visa, you must provide evidence of the following:

  • You are a resident of a country other than the United States to which you intend to return;
  • You are seeking admission to the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study at the academic institution you plan to attend; and
  • You have adequate financial resources to cover the cost of the first year of schooling.

The United States requires that first-time student visa applicants from most countries appear for an in-person interview. The consular affairs page of the U.S. Department of State website at provides detailed information about applying for a student visa, including specific procedures for the embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your place of residence.

In general, all applicants for a student visa must provide the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Visa (Form I-20, download below) obtained from a U.S. school or university. After you have been accepted to Erikson and provided evidence of financial support, you will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility no more than 90 days before the beginning of the first academic term in which you intend to enroll.
  • Completed nonimmigrant visa application (Form DS-156) with photo. These forms are available at the embassy for no charge.
  • Passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the United States.
  • Receipt for the visa processing fee.
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language examination.
  • Documentation of financial support, including bank statements, tax documents, etc.

Download the Statement of Financial Support and Certificate of Eligibility application form (Form I-20) [PDF, 3pg]. Please be sure to check with the U.S. Department of State for student visa requirements.

If your visa application is denied, please obtain a written notice of the denial and fax it to Michel Frendian, Dean of Enrollment Management at (312) 893-7168. We encourage you to apply again as soon as possible and to obtain, if possible, the name of the visa officer and a list of the additional documents requested by the visa officer in order to reconsider your application.

Health insurance requirements

Due to the high cost of health care and medical services in the United States, Erikson requires all international students on F-1 visas to submit proof of insurance coverage for the duration of their enrollment at the Institute. The following Erikson requirements are specific to F-1 students and have been carefully adopted to provide the minimum level of coverage we believe is needed.

International students must provide proof of health insurance coverage that meets the following minimum requirements:

  • Coverage must be arranged through a health insurance provider in the United States. Policies from companies in other countries will not be accepted.
  • The policy must be for a full twelve-month period without gaps in coverage, beginning on the first day of enrollment at Erikson.
  • Proof of coverage must be submitted to the Dean of Enrollment Management no later than the first day of classes. Proof of coverage can be in the form of a Statement of Coverage from the insurance company or a valid insurance card.
  • At minimum, the policy must provide coverage for the following:
    – $50,000 per accident or illness
    – $7,500 for repatriation of remains
    – $10,000 for medical evacuation to the student or dependent’s home country
    – deductible not to exceed $250
  • The insurance company providing the coverage must meet one of the rating criteria listed below:
    – Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-1” or higher;
    – Standard & Poors Claim Paying Ability rating of “A-” or higher;
    – A. A. Beset rating of “A-” or higher; or
    – Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or better

Note that these are minimum requirements; you may select plans that provide higher levels of coverage or a lower deductible.

While Erikson does not endorse or affiliate with any individual international student health insurance company or broker, international students may enroll in the United Healthcare plan made available to all Erikson students. More information on this plan can be found on our student health insurance page.

We highly recommend that you compare the services and costs of multiple providers. Please contact each provider for specific information about its services and products. However, prior to choosing another health insurance plan, international students are encouraged to contact Erikson’s dean of enrollment management, Michel Frendian, at [email protected] or (312) 893-7145, in order to make sure that the plan meets the stated requirements.

Some providers you may contact include: All Aboard Benefits, Gateway Plans, The Harbour Group, HTH Worldwide Insurance Services, International Student Organization in America (ISOA), and Travel Insurance Services. This list is provided only as a courtesy and does not reflect an endorsement or relationship between the provider and Erikson.

Financial aid for international students

International students are not eligible for traditional federal financial aid or need-based scholarships. However, we award a limited number of International Incentive Grants to admitted international students with demonstrated financial need.

Additionally, all international students will be considered for the Harris Leadership Fellowships and Harris Excellence Scholarships.

As indicated above, international students must submit evidence, including bank statements, that they have sufficient financial resources available to cover tuition and the cost of attendance before Erikson can issue the Certificate of Eligibility for a Nonimmigrant Visa (Form I-20) necessary to receive a visa for study in the U.S.

The tuition rate for international students is the same as tuition for citizens and permanent residents (see tuition & fees). In addition to tuition, students also need to cover basic living expenses, books and supplies, local transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. For more information on the total costs of education, see cost of attendance. Note: our estimated cost of attendance does not include travel to and from your home country.