Who is this degree for?
As the need for qualified infant specialists grows, so does the need for organizational leaders in this sector.
With this specialization, students can combine the deep expertise of working with infants gained from our Infancy Specialization with the leadership and organizational knowledge taught through our Administration Specialization.
You may work towards two State of Illinois credentials through this combined specialization: the Early Intervention credential and the Illinois Director Credential.
The course work in the prevention/early intervention methods track of the infancy specialization, coupled with an internship in an early intervention site, prepares you to apply for the Early Intervention credential.
Those seeking the Illinois Director credential will need to complete the appropriate State of Illinois application and provide documentation of managerial experience and professional contributions.
To specialize in both infancy and administration, you will complete all the courses in the child development core curriculum, excluding C413 Adult Education and Supervision and including the additional courses for each specialization. You will also complete an internship that gives you experience in both areas.
Sample course schedules
- C410 – Social and Historical Perspectives on Early Care and Education
- C421 – Human Development I: Psychosocial Development in Infancy and Childhood
- C422 – Human Development II: Psychosocial Development from Early Adolescence through Adulthood
- C425 – Physical Growth and Development
- C426 – Development of Cognition, Language, and Play I: Cognitive Development
- C427 – Development of Cognition, Language, and Play II: Language Development
- C432 – Family and Culture
- C439 – Child Assessment
- C440 & C441 – Internship and Tutorial I and II
- C450 & C451 – Integrative Seminar I and II
- Assessment Elective (select from one of the options below)
- A408 – Administration of Early Childhood Programs I: Leadership, Management and Community Relations
- A409 – Administration of Early Childhood Programs II: Legal and Financial Aspects
- I492 – Infant/Toddler Screening and Assessment
- I496 – Emerging Developmental Differences
- I497 – Prevention/Early Intervention Methods I
- I498 – Prevention/Early Intervention Methods II
- I499 – Infant & Family Service Systems