Who is this degree for?
The demand for early childhood teachers with bilingual and/or English as a second language expertise has never been higher, and it continues to grow.
This program, unique in Illinois, responds to the urgent need for more early childhood teachers who can effectively meet the special needs of new language learners in a culturally, linguistically, and developmentally appropriate manner.
This specialization will enable teacher candidates to add the bilingual and/or ESL endorsement through the Illinois State Board of Education.
Bilingual approval typically allows an early childhood teacher to instruct young children in their native language and English. English as a second language (ESL) approval typically prepares monolingual early childhood teachers to effectively instruct new language learners in English.
To complete this specialization, you take two courses in addition to the core curriculum for the teacher licensure program and substitute two bilingual/ESL courses for courses in the standard curriculum. The internship and tutorials focus on teaching in multilingual preschools and classrooms.
For a full description of the teacher preparation program requirements, see M.S. in Early Childhood Education Leading to Teaching License
Sample course schedules
- B446 and B447 – Internship, Student Teaching and Tutorial I and II: Bilingual/ESL
- C421 – Human Development I: Psychosocial Development in Infancy and Childhood
- C425 – Physical Growth and Development
- C426 – Development of Cognition, Language, and Play I: Cognitive Development
- C427 – Development of Cognition, Language, and Play II: Language Development
- C432 – Family and Culture
- S410 – Curricular and Instructional Methods in Early Childhood Special Education
- T404 – Teaching and Learning in Diverse Settings: Science and Social Studies
- T406 – Teaching and Learning in Diverse and Inclusive Settings: Mathematics
- T408 – Foundations of American Schooling and Bilingual Education
- T412 – Preschool Curricular Approaches in Diverse and Inclusive Settings
- T438 – Children with Special Needs and Diverse Abilities
- T456 – Integrative Seminar: Classroom Management and Instructional Techniques in Diverse and Inclusive Settings I
- T457 – Integrative Seminar: Classroom Management and Instructional Techniques in Diverse and Inclusive Settings II