Project Connect is professional development for kindergarten teachers through a learning partnership between Erikson Institute and ISBE.
Project Connect for the 2021-22 school year began in August 2021. Underwritten by a generous grant, this one-year program is low-cost to districts and schools.
As a result of their participation, kindergarten teachers will improve their ability to observe, document, and interpret children’s behavior and thinking using the Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS).
Through a variety of engaging formats, kindergarten teachers will gain:
- ISBE PD Hours for high-quality, kindergarten-focused professional learning experience
- Protected time during each PLC day for observation, documentation, and completion of KIDS survey mandate
- Collaboration with peers and Erikson instructors to analyze child data and benefit from the use of formative assessment through KIDS
- Deeper knowledge of children’s development in SEL, math and language/literacy, including dual language learning
- Honorariums for teachers participating as Action Researchers
- Pre-K teacher access to five online self-paced learning modules
- Possibility to participate in an advanced PD series in the following year
- A set of high-quality children’s books around a theme
Administrators will be supported in advancing their working knowledge of developmentally appropriate early education and how best to utilize KIDS data.