With the exception of jointly recognized courses in the M.S./M.J. dual degree program, it is expected that all work for the degree and certificate programs will be completed at Erikson. Transfer credit is not accepted for previous graduate level work.
Erikson alumni who have completed the M.S. in Child Development or M.S. in Early Childhood Education and later enroll in the M.S.W. program will be granted full waivers for the courses that are common to all three master’s degree programs at Erikson, for a maximum of 18 credit hours.
In order for students to be waived out of any of the courses, they must have successfully completed the course within five years of entering the M.S.W. program and have earned a grade of B or better in the respective course. Alumni who enroll in the M.S.W. program and who earned a grade of B or better in the waived courses will be considered by Erikson to have achieved foundation level competency in the practice behaviors associated with those courses.
The six courses that may be considered for waivers are the following:
- CHLD C421: Human Development I (3 credit hours)
- CHLD C422: Human Development II (3 credit hours)
- CHLD C490: Research Methods (3 credit hours)
- CHLD C432: Family and Culture (3 credit hours)
- CHLD C426: Development of Cognition, Language and Play I (3 credit hours)
- CHLD C427: Development of Cognition, Language and Play II (3 credit hours)
This policy ensures that alumni returning for the M.S.W. will not be repeating course content they have already mastered. We set a five-year time frame because course content has evolved significantly over time and will continue to evolve in the future as faculty review and update these courses.